Why join a local church?
Some people say they’re content to “just be Christians”, not linked to any church. However, this is not the teaching of the New Testament.
Joining and belonging to a church is not optional. The examples we see in the early church is of people converting to Christ, then being “added to the church” (Acts 2:41-47).
The church isn’t just a club. It’s the people of God, the Body of Christ, and the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. Jesus loved it and gave himself for it (Eph 5:25-27), declaring that the gates of Hell will not prevail against it. It’s glorious not because it’s perfect but because it belongs to Christ who is continuing to protect, build and use it to display His glory.
Want to be a member?
Church membership is not just to get a vote in meetings or to serve in certain areas. Rather, it is the first and best way to get involved in one another’s lives, as we pledge to care for, encourage and admonish each other to make the Gospel of Jesus Christ more visible to others.
To be a member at Howick Baptist Church:
- You must have a demonstrable lifestyle of repentance from sin, and faith in Jesus Christ alone
- You must affirm the core truths summarised by HBC’s Statement of Faith
The membership process is generally as follows:
- Attend a membership class
- Submit an “Application for Church Membership” form
- An interview with an elder will be arranged
- Upon approval, you will be welcomed into membership at a convenient Sunday service