Note: This letter was shared by Jayana, one of our members here at HBC.
Dear Church Family,
I will be nearing the end of my 6 year medical degree at the end of this year. Final year students are given the option to go overseas to a place of their choosing, in a specialty of their choice.
After much consideration (and general indecisiveness), I am going to Lusaka, Zambia! I will be leaving on the 10th of June, will be there for 8 weeks, returning in early August. As you can imagine, this is something a little outside of my comfort zone (understatement) Especially as I’ll be going by myself! I would greatly appreciate your prayers over this time.
- Something different to New Zealand, both in terms of the healthcare system, and also in terms of culture.
- Connections through Kabwata Baptist church through some doctors I have been liaising with (through Pastor Joe Fleener and Pastor Conrad Mbewe).
What I will do there…
- Four weeks general medicine plus four weeks general surgery at The University Teaching Hospital, one of the main hospitals.
- An opportunity to put med school into practice.
- That I will quickly get myself organised and sort out a daily routine.
- For safety: flight, day-to-day travelling, health.
- That I will quickly get plugged into the church and meet good friends.
- For lots of growth: spiritually, personally, professionally/vocationally.
- That my family (this includes you guys!) don’t miss me too much (more so vice versa!)
- For my 2015/2016 job application process in New Zealand.
– Jayana Devathasan