Our Statement of Faith summarises the core truths that underpin our church and that members of HBC believe.
In addition to this, the following distinctives characterise the teaching and ministry of HBC:
- Gospel Centrality – We seek to base our lives and ministries around the good news of what God has done for sinners through the life, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour: Jesus Christ. (Romans 1:16-17)
- Authority of Scripture – We believe the Bible is God’s inspired word and completed revelation that is sufficient as our sole authority in matters of faith and practice. (2 Tim 3:15-17)
- Expository Preaching – We believe that God’s means for making known His word to the church (2 Tim 4:1-3) and to the world (1 Cor 1:21) is preaching which explains and applies the meaning of Scripture.
- Baptist – We believe the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper are reserved for believers in Jesus Christ. We are congregationally governed and elder-led.
- The Sovereignty of God – We hold to the truth that God is in control of all things, while moral agents remain responsible and accountable for the willing choices they make (John 6:37-44).
- Spirit-filled Lives – We believe in the active, life-giving, ongoing ministry of the Holy Spirit within the context of the local church as well as individual believers’ lives. We hold that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is always in perfect unity with the inspired Word of God therefore all fillings, leadings and experiences of the Spirit must be subjected to its authority (John 6:63; Acts 1:8; Eph 5:18).
- Complementarian Relationships – We hold to the equal value of men and women, while acknowledging male headship in the church and home (Gen 1:26-27; Eph 5:22-33; 1 Tim 3:1-7).